COVID-19 Business Relief in Canada
Learn more about federal programs and find provincial programs for businesses in your region.
Many relief measures and programs for small businesses have been announced by both federal and provincial governments. Find provincial programs by clicking links in the list below, and scroll down to learn more about the federal programs that have been announced so far.
Provincial Programs for Small Businesses
Federal Programs for Small Businesses
The Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA) is an interest-free loan of $40,000 for qualifying businesses. Up to $10,000 of that amount will be eligible for complete forgiveness if $30,000 is fully repaid on or before December 31, 2022. This program will roll out in mid-April, and interested businesses should work with their primary banks.
To be eligible for this program, you and your business must meet the following requirements:
- Your organization is an operating business (i.e., not a holding company) that has been in operation before March 1, 2020
- Your organization’s payroll expense in the 2019 calendar year was between $20,000 and $1.5 million. You will need to provide:
- Your employer account number, as reported at the top of the 2019 T4 Summary
- Your employment income reported in Box 14 of their 2019 T4
- Your 2019 T4SUM when requested upon audit
- As per the requirements of the program set out by the Government of Canada, you will agree to use funds from this loan to pay for operating costs that cannot be deferred, such as payroll, rent, utilities, insurance, and property tax
- You have an active business operating account with a primary financial institution
- Your business operating account was opened prior to March 1, 2020
- You are not applying for this program at more than one financial institution
How to apply:
Enrollment to this program will only be available online through your primary bank. Ensure you have the following information ready when applying online:
- Your 2019 Business T4 Summary of Remuneration Paid Slip; You will be asked to enter your Canada Revenue Agency Business Number (BN) (15 characters) as reported under the field of "Employer’s account number"
- Your Business Bank Account and Transit Number information with your primary bank
CIBC customers: Submit your CEBA application online through the CIBC Online Banking portal. If your business isn’t registered for CIBC Online Banking for Business, you must register here in advance using your CIBC Business Convenience Card® number.
BMO customers: Complete this online application through the BMO website.
TD customers: Complete this online application through the TD website.
Scotiabank customers: Complete this online application by logging into your Scotiabank online portal.
RBC customers: To enroll for CEBA, log into your RBC Online Banking for Business. If you are not registered for online banking, click here to enroll in RBC Online Banking for Business.